Well, with summer officially ending on Thursday, it’s probably time to look back on how we did with some of our summer goals. First, the Summer Fun List. Later this week, my summer reading list.
This was the first year we tried a summer fun list. Some of the goals were pretty crazy, some were quite manageable. I will defend myself up front by saying this was one of the hottest, most oppressive summers I can remember. I love, love, LOVE hot weather, and even I couldn’t go outside for more than a few minutes some days. I remember texting friends with whom we had swim dates and saying “I think it’s actually too hot even to swim.” It was that hot. So, a lot of things that may have gotten marked off during a “normal” Kansas summer, just didn’t this year. Making the list was fun, nonetheless, and we’ll definitely do it again next summer.
So here’s what the girls put on their lists: (Items accomplished are marked through; my commentary is in parentheses)
- swimming – a lot!
- have a friend sleep over (I’m a deadbeat for not making this one happen; summer just got too busy 😦 )
- watch movies as a family
- go to a park
- camp for three days (here’s where the obscene heat comes in handy as a good excuse)
- go to an actual beach (technically, this would only qualify for Grace, and that’s only if you call Lake Michigan going to a “real” beach)
- go to a swim park/sprinkler park (none here in town; never made it out of town to find one 😦 )
- buy a play set (Really?!?! Perhaps these children haven’t noticed the miniature size of our backyard.)
- buy flowers for the girls (Should have made this one happen. Such a simple thing to do!)
- have parades
- get a drum set and take lessons (I’m not even going to apologize that this didn’t happen; I’m no dummy!)
- read The Sign of the Beaver
- have a friend over to play
- go to Colorado
- have lots of fun
- go to Mexico (what can I say? My kids like to travel and they have really good ideas for destinations!)
- go swimming with Coco the Labradoodle (three words why this didn’t happen: wet dog smell)
- re-organize bedroom
- go running with Coco (technically this one happened, but only with me. Who wants to run with four kids and a spastic dog???)
- go North to see our favorite goat farmers
- walk with Coco (see the spastic dog reference above)
- go to San Diego (again with the travel)
- bike rides
- concert in the park
- dinner on the patio at our favorite Mexican restaurant
- hollow an egg
That’s our Summer Fun List review.
Did you set any goals for this summer? Were you able to meet them?
In other news, I had (as usual) an entertaining conversation with Ellie this weekend…
Ellie (as she’s putting old birthday cards into her purse): I’m going to keep getting birthday cards until I’m twenty.
Me: Why only until you’re twenty?
Ellie: Because then I’ll probably die.
Ellie: Because I’ll be an ooooold granny. (with much emphasis on “old”)
Have a great Tuesday, friends!
For His Glory ~